Friday, January 21, 2011

Conditional Sentences or If-Clauses Type I, II and III

 A conditional sentence usually begins with 'if' and says that something must be true or happen before something else can be true or happen. 

There are three types of Conditional Sentences
1. Conditional Sentence Type 1
It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled.

Form: if + Simple Present, will-Future

Example: 
  • If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation.
  • If I meet her, I'll ask her for diner. 
  • If I go to Solo, I'll buy a batik clothes.
2. Conditional Sentence Type 2
It is possible but very unlikely, that the condition will be fulfilled.

Form: if + Simple Past, past future (= would + Infinitive)

Example: 
  • If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.
  • If I talked to her, I would give her the flower.
  • If she loved me, I would marry her.
3. Conditional Sentence Type 3
It is impossible that the condition will be fulfilled because it refers to the past.

Form: if + Past Perfect, past future perfect (= would + have + Past Participle)

Example:
  • If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation.
  • If I had studied English last night, I would have passed the test.
  • If I had worked harder, I would have had a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment