Sunday, January 23, 2011

Making An Appointment, Inviting Someone, and Declining An Appointment

Mrs. Ary looks for information about cancer in a clinic. Then, she comes to the clinic in the afternoon.


Mrs. Ary        : Good Afternoon, mam. Would you like to help me?
Receptionist    : Good Afternoon. Sure, what can I do for you?
Mrs. Ary        : I need more information about cancer. Who can I meet to explain about that disease?
Receptionist    : You can meet Dr. Handy to get further information  about cancer. However, you have to make an  appointment first to meet him.
Mrs. Ary         : Can I meet him tomorrow afternoon?
Receptionist     : Please, discuss the meeting through phone call. You can  contact this number 0586511231.
Mrs. Ary           : OK, thanks.

Suddenly, Mr. Ary call Dr. Handy using her cell-phone.

Mrs. Ary      : Hello. This is Ary speaking. Can I talk to Dr. Handy?
Dr. Handy   : Hello.Yes, This is Handy. Do you have any problems?
Mrs. Ary      : I need more information about cancer. Would you like to meet me at your office tomorrow afternoon at 02.00 p.m.?
Dr. Andy     : How about 02.30 p.m.? I have many patients tomorrow.
Mrs. Ary       : that’s fine. I’ll be there at that time. Thanks.
Dr. Handy    : You’re welcome.

After you read that conversation you may find certain expression, such as:

Making Appointment:
  • Can I meet …?
  • Let’s meet ….?
  • How about tomorrow afternoon?

Accepting an appointment:
  • I’ll be there at that time.
  • Sure. I’ll come.
  • It’ll be a nice meeting for me.
  • Canceling/rejecting an appointment:
  • I’m sorry. I can’t come.
  • I don’t think I can make it.
  • Sorry. I think I have another appointment at that time.

Inviting:
  • Would you like to ....
  • Could you come to…
  • I'd very much like
  • Would you care to ....
  • I’ll really happy if you come to….
  • I’m sure that you won’t be disappointed to come to….

Accepting an Invitation
  • Thank you for inviting me.
  • I would/will ....
  • That would be very nice.
  • I'd like to love to come.
  • That’s fine.
  • Sure. Why not?

Declining an Invitation
  • I'm very sorry, I don't think I can.
  • I'd like to, but ....
  • Thank you for asking me, but ....
  • Unfortunately, I can't ....

No comments:

Post a Comment