Thursday, January 20, 2011

Recount Text

Function: To retell the past activities in sequence of order. Recount usually begins with orientation which tells the reader who was involved, what happened, where, and when the event was.

The next is the series of event which should be arranged in sequence of order. It means if you want to retell your three-day vacation in Bali, for example, you may begin to tell the reader with your first-day experience in Bali, then continued with the second day event and the third day should be told as the last event.

The final touch is the summary which is also known as reorientation. You can summarize your story at the end of recount text.

Here is the example of recount text.

Last week, I enjoyed my holiday in Solo. I went to my aunt house and visited certain interesting historical sites in that city.

On the first day, I stayed in my aunt house to meet my cousins. I had not met them for a long time since I lived in Jakarta. I asked them with many question about Solo. They also had many questions for me. We talked about many things until midnight.

The next day, I woke up at five and took a morning pray. After that, I decided to have a rest because I had a late sleep last night. At 8 a.m., my cousins woke me up and asked me to have a visit to Solo Palace. I prepared myself and followed my cousins to Solo Palace.

At 11 a.m., we arrived at that historical site. That palace was full of traditional stuffs. I didn’t really know what they are. However, we had a tourist guide plus my cousins who can’t stop talking about Solo Palace.

I really loved my holiday. Although I just stayed in Solo for two days, I hoped someday I can visit that city in the next opoetunity.

Recount Language features
  • Use past tense.
  • Use temporal preposition, such as: first, then, after that, etc
  • Focus on individual people. For example use the words, I or we
  • Use action verb, example: visited, arrived, prepared, etc

1 comment: